Active ResidencyThis is an option for those who plan to work actively in Gibraltar as Employed/Self-Employed individuals and spend at least 183 days within Gibraltar.

Individuals wishing to take up an economic activity in Gibraltar should and intending to set up in businesses should contact the Commercial Director of the Department of Trade and Industry in the first instance. Those seeking to take up employment should approach the Employment and Training Board.

Visas to enter Gibraltar will not be authorised unless it can be established that there is a genuine intention and ability to set up a business. In the same way a visa for a person intending to take up employment will not be authorised unless the Employment and Training Board confirms that there would be no objection in principle to the issue of a work permit.


Residency permits are normally issued for a maximum period of one year and are renewed annually provided the Immigration Authorities are satisfied that there has been no material change of circumstances. Residency documentation will have a renewable validity of 5 years although a civilian registration card will be issued for 12 months in the first instance.

  • An EEA national has the right to enter Gibraltar on production of a valid passport or national identity card.
  • An EEA national has the right to remain for 3 months in order to seek employment or to establish himself under any other qualifying category.
  • An EEA national who exercises EEA rights as a qualified person and establishes himself in Gibraltar acquires the right to reside by virtue of this and must register for residence during or after residing in Gibraltar for 3 months.




The following documents must be presented:

  • Passport or National ID Card.
  • ETB registration. If registration took place six months or more before the application for a residence permit, request a letter from employer stating that person is still working there.
  • Proof of Accommodation, i.e. Rental Agreement (valid for six months) if property rented by company, a letter stating the person is living there from the company. If renting, rental agreement or letter from estate agent. If living with someone who owns property deeds or under lease a detailed letter explaining under what basis is living in the house, (family, boyfriend/girlfriend). If Government rented, Housing Information List.
  • 1 Photo.
  • £5.00 Fee.


The following documents must be presented:

  • Passport or National ID Card.
  • ETB registration as self-employed.
  • Business Certificate.
  • DSS Schedule.
  • Proof of accommodation as above.
  • 1 Photo.
  • £5.00.

Looking for a First-Class Business Plan Consultant?